(2015) (Jude Law, Ben Mendelsohn) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramatic Thriller: A laid-off submarine captain assembles a rag tag crew in hopes of finding a long-sunken WWII submarine that's reportedly filled with millions of dollars of gold.
- After serving in the navy commanding submarines, Captain Robinson (JUDE LAW) has worked for the past decade doing salvage work for the Agora corporation. Despite his service, they let him go, a development that doesn't sit well with him, especially since he realizes he lost his wife and 12-year-son due to his long hours working for them. When he learns from a similarly fired coworker of a potentially lucrative mission that could screw over his former company, he jumps at the chance.
It seems that back during WWII, Stalin offered to pay Hitler a handsome sum in gold bars if the latter agreed not to invade the former's country. But the German U-boat carrying that ended up at the bottom of the Black Sea and the rest is history. Agora has found the long-sunken U-boat, but can't get to it at the moment due to the current Russia-Georgia conflict. A rich investor, however, is willing to front the money if Robinson can put together a submarine crew, travel down to the U-boat, and steal the gold away, with their cut being a percentage of the recovered gold bars.
Robinson agrees and soon puts together a mixed crew of both British and Russian sailors. On the former side, there's Reynolds (MICHAEL SMILEY), his right-hand man; temperamental Australian diver Fraser (BEN MENDELSOHN); older diver Peters (DAVID THRELFALL); and a young homeless man, Tobin (BOBBY SCHOFIELD), who Robinson feels sorry for and brings onboard despite his lack of experience.
That doesn't sit well with all of the Russians, including Zaytsev(SERGEY PUSKEPALIS), the mechanic who must get an old Russian sub operational again, and Morozov (GRIGORIY DOBRYGIN) who casts a wary eye on these strangers. More willing to work together is Blackie (KONSTANTIN KHABENSKIY), who serves as the crew's translator, while Baba (SERGEY VEKSLER) works as their sonar operator. Joining them is Daniels (SCOTT McNAIRY) who works for the rich investor and isn't pleased about unexpectedly being forced to go along on the mission.
Needing to sneak under the Russian navy, locate the sub, remove the gold via an underwater operation, and then sail away, Robinson does his best to keep his lean crew focused on the job. But when things start going wrong, it appears the mission could unravel at any moment, possibly putting the lives of all involved at risk.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those who are fans of anyone in the cast or who are into submarine-based movies might show some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout, some graphic images and violence.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.