(2015) (Johnny Depp, Joel Edgerton) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Crime Drama: The FBI forms an alliance with a notorious Boston crime boss in order to bring down the Italian mob there.
- It's 1975 and James "Whitey" Bulger (JOHNNY DEPP) is a crime boss who runs the Winter Hill Gang in South Boston. With enforcers such as Kevin Weeks (JESSE PLEMONS) and Steve Flemmi (RORY COCHRANE), few dare cross Whitey, and that includes his brother, Billy (BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH), a powerful state senator who turns a blind eye to his sibling's behavior. While Whitey is known for his violent temper, he also has a softer side, namely that for a young son who he fathered with Lindsey (DAKOTA JOHNSON).
The FBI certainly knows about Whitey and his gang, but they're far more interested in the Italian mafia that operates in the city. Accordingly, agent John Connolly (JOEL EDGERTON) convinces his boss, Charles McGuire (KEVIN BACON), that they should form an alliance with Whitey -- John's childhood friend -- in order to bring down the mob. In exchange, they'll let the crime boss get away with most of his behavior. While fellow agent John Morris (DAVID HARBOUR) gets wrapped up in this unofficial partnership, John Connolly's wife, Marianne (JULIANNE NICHOLSON), isn't pleased with the arrangement and fears what associating with the criminal will do to her husband.
That includes him alerting Whitey about various things that might affect him, such as a drug addict hitman, Brian Halloran (PETER SARSGAARD), ratting on him to the feds. As John and Morris get deeper involved with the crime boss as the years pass, they must contend with various things that could unravel the arrangement -- including having a new, hard-nosed superior, Fred Wyshak (COREY STOLL), wanting to nail Whitey -- and possibly put their lives in danger.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might have some interest, especially if they're fans of anyone in the cast or are into crime dramas.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For brutal violence, language throughout, some sexual references and brief drug use.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.