(2015) (Andrew Garfield, Michael Shannon) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A desperate single father who has just lost his home goes to work for the unscrupulous man who engineered his foreclosure.
- Dennis Nash (ANDREW GARFIELD) is a young single man living in 2010 Orlando with his young son, Connor (NOAH LOMAX), and widowed mother, Lynn (LAURA DERN). He makes his living in home construction, but the Great Recession has caused the mid-2000s housing boom to go bust. With little work to be had, he falls behind on his home-loan payments and is foreclosed on. A ruthless local property investor named Rick Carver (MICHAEL SHANNON) buys his property for pennies on the dollar.
Down on his luck, Dennis is surprised when Carver offers him a job making repairs on vacant homes that he has purchased and hopes to flip for profit. He eventually cuts him in on a scheme to steal HVAC units, swimming pool pumps, and more belonging to the houses he already bought out of foreclosure, and sell those household items back to the federal government for profit. Dennis is slowly seduced into Carver's lifestyle and begins to dream of buying an even bigger McMansion and give his son and mom all the advantages of wealth.
But Dennis keeps crossing paths with Frank Green (TIM GUINEE), a similarly down-on-his-luck family man who wants only to stay in his family house that's on the verge of foreclosure. Frank gets a good lawyer and appears close to winning a court case that would scuttle Dennis and Carver's plan for a bulk purchase of homes in Green's desirable neighborhood and surrounding area. Dennis must choose between being part of a scheme to use a forged document to defeat Frank or side against the man who has made him wealthy.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens may have some interest due to the casting of Andrew Garfield (the last big-screen Spider-Man) and Michael Shannon (who was General Zod in "Man of Steel").
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language, including some sexual references, and a brief violent image.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.