<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2014) (Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons) (R)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A 19-year-old drummer must contend with an abrasive and abusive instructor who's determined either to make him the best he can be or destroy him and his future.
- Andrew Neiman (MILES TELLER) is a 19-year-old drummer who dreams of being as good as his idol, Buddy Rich. When he's not watching movies with his dad, Jim (PAUL REISER), at a theater where the girl behind the concession stand, Nicole (MELISSA BENOIST), has caught his eye, he's practicing his art. And that's because he's enrolled at the prestigious Shaffer Conservatory where everyone hopes -- but also sort of fears -- that the notoriously prickly and perfectionist instructor Terence Fletcher (J.K. SIMMONS) might chose them to be in his select class.
He does indeed pick Andrew as an alternate to first seat drummer Tanner (NATE LANG), and it's not long before the first-year student takes over that position. But his ego gets crushed, not only when Fletcher berates and belittles him in class, but also when he brings in another drummer, Ryan Connolly (AUSTIN STOWELL), who could easily take his place. Determined to be the best, Andrew focuses solely on drumming and gets even better. But it's unclear if that will be good enough for Fletcher, especially as the band starts making public performances where the conductor expects nothing but perfection from his students.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those into drumming or jazz music might be interested, while the award buzz might attract some older teens.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong language including some sexual references.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.