(2014) (Jack O'Connell, Miyavi) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A young American Olympic runner must contend with being stranded at sea and then imprisoned in a Japanese prisoner of war camp during WWII.
- It's 1943, and after surviving a Zero attack during their bombing mission, the American crew of a B-24 is sent on a rescue mission. But they experience mechanical problems that result in their plane crashing into the Pacific ocean more than 800 miles south of Oahu, killing eight of the eleven men aboard. The survivors are the pilot, Capt. Russell Alan "Phil" Phillips (DOMHNALL GLEESON); tail gunner Sgt. Francis "Mac" McNamara (FINN WITTROCK); and bombardier second lieutenant Louis "Louie" Zamperini (JACK O'CONNELL).
The latter grew up as a troubled kid (C.J. VALLEROY) but turned around his life once his older brother, Pete (JOHN D'LEO), got him into running. Louie excelled at that and eventually participated in the 1936 Olympics. But now there's nowhere to run as he, Phil and Mac are stuck at sea in a life raft with little food and no water.
Forty-seven days later, two of them are captured by the Japanese, with Louie ending up in a POW camp run by the sadistic Mutsuhiro Watanabe (MIYAVI), a.k.a. "The Bird." Singled out by him, Louie must endure repeated beatings at his hands, all while trying to hold onto the advice given to him by fellow POW John Fitzgerald (GARRETT HEDLUND) who says that their best revenge against the Japanese will be surviving until the war is over.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those interested in movies related to WWII may be intrigued, as might those who've read the book on which this is based.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For war violence including intense sequences of brutality, and for brief language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.