(2014) (Johnny Depp, Rebecca Hall) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: After being mortally wounded by anti-technology extremists, an expert in artificial intelligence has his mind uploaded onto a computer network where he grows progressively more powerful.
- In the world of artificial intelligence, Will Caster (JOHNNY DEPP) is at the forefront of such research. Along with his wife, Evelyn (REBECCA HALL), and fellow researcher, Max Waters (PAUL BETTANY), he's been making great strides in the field, especially in his belief that a person's consciousness can actually be transferred into a computer.
Such work has its critics, however, including the anti-tech extremist group known as RIFT (Revolutionary Independence from Technology). Lead by Bree (KATE MARA), they want to stop the likes of Will as well as Joseph Tagger (MORGAN FREEMAN) who works in the cyber defense industry. When RIFT strikes, most of Joseph's team is wiped out, while Will ends up mortally wounded by a radiation-laced bullet. Such actions bring about the attention of the FBI and lead agent Donald Buchanan (CILLIAN MURPHY), but with his time in his physical body running out, Will agrees to attempt to transfer his consciousness into a computer system.
Once on the Internet, his intelligence and access to any and all resources grows, all while providing cover for Evelyn who's still a target for Bree and her followers. Eventually settling into a remote and nearly deserted desert town, Will (in his computerized form) and Evelyn set out to use technology to make the world a better place, including helping the likes of local contractor Martin (CLIFTON COLLINS JR.) become something far greater than his former self.
Yet, as Will's power increases, both Joseph and a military unit lead by Col. Stevens (COLE HAUSER), as well as Bree and her followers (who've abducted Max) attempt to stop the cyber man before it's too late for them to do anything.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those who are fans of heady, sci-fi tales and/or anyone in the cast might be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sci-fi action and violence, some bloody images, brief strong language and sensuality.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.