(2014) (Jason Bateman, Tina Fey) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: Four siblings are forced to sit Shiva for a week with their mother following their father's death, something that won't come easy for any of them.
- Judd Altman (JASON BATEMAN) is the producer of a popular radio show hosted by Wade Beaufort (DAX SHEPARD). One day, Judd returns home to find his wife, Quinn (ABIGAIL SPENCER), having sex with Wade. Things get worse when he gets a call from his sister, Wendy (TINA FEY), that their father has died. Judd then travels to the home of his mother, Hilary (JANE FONDA), and reunites with his siblings.
Besides Wendy who's arrived there with her husband, Barry (AARON LAZAR), and their two young kids, there's oldest son Paul (COREY STOLL) whose wife, Annie (KATHRYN HAHN), desperately wants to get pregnant. Family black sheep Phillip (ADAM DRIVER) also arrives with a much older therapist, Tracy (CONNIE BRITTON), as his new girlfriend.
The siblings don't all get along, a point exacerbated when their mom announces that with the help of longtime family friend Rabbi Charles Grodner (BEN SCHWARTZ) -- whose nickname was "boner" back when they were growing up -- they're going to sit Shiva for an entire week. That brings to a head all sorts of longstanding and newer issues, not to mention old flames who still live nearby.
Among them is Wendy's former boyfriend, Horry Callen (TIMOTHY OLYPHANT), who still lives across the street with his mom, Linda (DEBRA MONK), due to a past brain injury, while Judd is reunited with Penny Moore (ROSE BYRNE), a skating instructor and former girlfriend. As the days pass, the siblings and those around them must contend with the forced togetherness and the conflict it creates.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of anyone in the cast or dysfunctional family dramedies.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language, sexual content and some drug use.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.