(2014) (Colin Firth, Nicole Kidman) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A British WWII vet, plagued by post-traumatic stress disorder, seeks out the Japanese man who was involved in his torture during the war decades ago.
- It's 1980 and a number of British WWII veterans, including Eric Lomax (COLIN FIRTH) and Finlay (STELLAN SKARSGARD), routinely get together but rarely talk about their service during the war. That point comes up later when Eric, a railway enthusiast, meets Patti (NICOLE KIDMAN) on a train. The two instantly hit it off and end up married, but his post-traumatic stress disorder from his time in the war starts to take a toll on their marriage. Patti asks Finlay for help, but he replies that they don't talk of such things.
And that's because in 1942 Young Eric (JEREMY IRVINE) and Young Finlay (SAM REID) were working as British engineers in Singapore when that city-state fell to the Japanese. Sent to Thailand, Eric, Finlay and many others were tasked with attempting to build a railroad through the jungle, an endeavor that took the lives of many POWs. When Eric is caught with a makeshift radio, he's subjected to torture by his captors, including translator Nagase Takashi (TANROH ISHIDA).
Back in the present and learning that Nagase (HIROYUKI SANADA) is still alive, Eric sets out to find and confront the man, not fully aware of what he'll do when he comes eye to eye with his former tormentor.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're fans of someone in the cast or are interested in the historical angle, it doesn't seem too likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For disturbing prisoner of war violence.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.