(2014) (Jared Harris, Sam Claflin) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: In 1974 England, an Oxford professor and his three students attempt to "cure" a disturbed young woman who may or may not be possessed by a demon.
- At Oxford University in 1974, Professor Joseph Coupland (JARED HARRIS) is convinced he can "cure" a disturbed, young woman named Jane Harper (OLIVIA COOKE), who may or may not be possessed by an ancient demon. Joseph assembles three graduate students to help him conduct his experiments on Jane in secret. This garners them the campus nickname of "The Quiet Ones." Before long, the university is tired of the rumors and lack of results and pulls Joseph's funding.
Joseph convinces the trio to continue their work at a distant mansion in the English countryside. They include camera operator Brian (SAM CLAFLIN), a good-hearted man trying to figure out what he believes; Harry (RORY FLECK-BYRNE), a science whiz up on the latest audio and visual technology; and Krissi (ERIN RICHARDS), a promiscuous research assistant having sexual relations with both Joseph and Harry.
Brian eventually becomes attracted to Jane, which adds considerable tension within the team. Paranormal attacks involving an entity Jane calls "Evie" become more frequent, and Joseph becomes more and more determined to find a scientific explanation and solution. Brian, though, does some research on his own and uncovers a frightening revelation that goes back centuries.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens will have some interest due to its friendly PG-13 rating and its mostly youthful cast, including Claflin from "The Hunger Games."
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense sequences of violence and terror, sexual content, thematic material, language, and smoking throughout.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.