(2014) (Dylan O'Brien, Aml Ameen) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: A teenager finds himself trapped with other boys in a dystopian setting where they're surrounded by an ever-changing maze filled with deadly monsters.
- Thomas (DYLAN O'BRIEN) is a teenager who unexpectedly finds himself deposited in a dystopian land known as The Glade. Surrounded by an immense maze that changes every night and is filled with large, part-robot, part-animal monsters known as Grievers, the land is populated by a group of boys who, much like Thomas, can't remember how or why they arrived in this place. The leader, Alby (AML AMEEN), has been there for three years, and has created a pseudo all-boy civilization where Newt (THOMAS BRODIE-SANGSTER) is the second in command. They've selected the fastest boys -- known as runners and overseen by Minho (KI HONG LEE) -- to race into the maze each day to try to find a way out or at least figure out what's going on.
But they must all be out by the evening when the maze closes for the night, thus all but ensuring that anyone stuck inside will likely not make it out alive. Thomas doesn't believe that, thus drawing the ire of Gally (WILL POULTER) who thinks the newcomer is nothing but trouble for all of them, unlike a younger boy, Chuck (BLAKE COOPER), who takes a liking to Thomas.
After the newcomer goes into the maze to help save Alby and ends up killing a Griever, the situation begins to change. That also holds true when the lone girl, Teresa (KAYA SCODELARIO), shows up with a note saying she'll the last one introduced there. From that point on, and while contending with Gally and his followers, Thomas tries to figure out where he is and why, as well as discover a way out.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They will if they're fans of the novel on which it's based or are into other similar young adult novel adaptations.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements and intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, including some disturbing images.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.