(2014) (Dylan O'Brien, Aml Ameen) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: A teenager finds himself trapped with other boys in a dystopian setting where they're surrounded by an ever-changing maze filled with deadly monsters.
- Thomas (DYLAN O'BRIEN) is a teenager who unexpectedly finds himself deposited in a dystopian land known as The Glade. Surrounded by an immense maze that changes every night and is filled with large, part-robot, part-animal monsters known as Grievers, the land is populated by a group of boys who, much like Thomas, can't remember how or why they arrived in this place. The leader, Alby (AML AMEEN), has been there for three years, and has created a pseudo all-boy civilization where Newt (THOMAS BRODIE-SANGSTER) is the second in command. They've selected the fastest boys -- known as runners and overseen by Minho (KI HONG LEE) -- to race into the maze each day to try to find a way out or at least figure out what's going on.
But they must all be out by the evening when the maze closes for the night, thus all but ensuring that anyone stuck inside will likely not make it out alive. Thomas doesn't believe that, thus drawing the ire of Gally (WILL POULTER) who thinks the newcomer is nothing but trouble for all of them, unlike a younger boy, Chuck (BLAKE COOPER), who takes a liking to Thomas.
After the newcomer goes into the maze to help save Alby and ends up killing a Griever, the situation begins to change. That also holds true when the lone girl, Teresa (KAYA SCODELARIO), shows up with a note saying she'll the last one introduced there. From that point on, and while contending with Gally and his followers, Thomas tries to figure out where he is and why, as well as discover a way out.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They will if they're fans of the novel on which it's based or are into other similar young adult novel adaptations.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements and intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, including some disturbing images.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.