(2014) (Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: Two teenage cancer patients find solace, companionship and even love after meeting in a support group.
- 17-year-old Hazel Grace Lancaster (SHAILENE WOODLEY) is a cancer patient who's pretty much resigned to the fact that she's going to die sooner than later. While an experimental drug has stabilized her, it's weakened her lungs and thus she requires constant oxygen support. Her parents (LAURA DERN and SAM TRAMMELL) are concerned about her, so much so that her mom heavily encourages Hazel to attend support group meetings. There, the teen not only meets Isaac (NAT WOLFF) who's already lost one eye to cancer and will likely also lose the other one, but also Augustus Waters (ANSEL ELGORT). He's an optimistic 18-year-old who lost part of his leg to cancer but has not let that diminish his spirit about living.
He's instantly smitten with Hazel and takes it upon himself to lift her out of her depression. He does that and the two become fast friends, with him hoping that will turn into something more romantic. She's reluctant, however, as she views her time as limited and thus doesn't want anyone else to become too attached to her. Nonetheless, they plan a trip to Amsterdam to visit author Peter van Houten (WILLEM DAFOE), Hazel's favorite writer, to get answers his one book left hanging. As Hazel and Augustus try to make sense of the lives that fate has dealt them, an inevitable romance blossoms between them.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they've read the book they probably will, while fans of tragic tearjerkers and/or anyone who's a fan of someone in the cast might also have an interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements, some sexuality and brief strong language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.