<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2014) (Denzel Washington, Marton Csokas) (R)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action: After killing an abusive pimp and his goons, a former covert government operations officer must contend with a deadly assassin who's been sent to deal with him.
- To everyone he knows, Robert McCall (DENZEL WASHINGTON) is an unassuming, middle-aged man who keeps a low profile but isn't above helping others, such as Ralphie (JOHNNY SKOURTIS) who works with him at a big box hardware store and dreams of being a security guard. When Robert isn't helping him get into shape for that job, he enjoys spending his evenings at a local diner that's often frequented by a young woman, Teri (CHLOE GRACE MORETZ), who dreams of being a singer, but currently works as a high-end hooker for her pimp, Slavi (DAVID MEUNIER).
When that man brutalizes the young woman, Robert steps in and offers to buy her freedom from the pimp, but Slavi refuses. Accordingly, Robert eyes the situation and proceeds to kill Slavi and his armed goons with quick efficiency, a result of his former life as a covert government operations officer.
His actions, however, don't sit well with a mob head back in Russia who sends his clean-up assassin, Teddy (MARTON CSOKAS), to take care of matters. The mobster's American forces, including corrupt Boston cop Frank Masters (DAVID HARBOUR), aren't happy about the situation, but take a back seat to the calculating killer who sets out to find the man responsible and will interrogate anyone he thinks might know something, including Teri's fellow hooker friend, Mandy (HALEY BENNETT).
As Teddy leaves a wake of wounded and dead people in his quest, Robert utilizes his skills and expertise to prepare to do battle with the assassin and his goons.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of Washington or are into hard-hitting action films, they might be interested (mostly teenagers).
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong bloody violence and language throughout, including some sexual references.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.