(2014) (Tom Hardy, James Gandolfini) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: An unassuming barkeep must contend with Chechen thugs who rule his cousin's bar, while also dealing with a local thug who seemingly wants to make trouble for him.
- Bob Saginowski(TOM HARDY) works as a bartender in the Brooklyn bar once owned by his cousin, Marv (JAMES GANDOLFINI). He still runs the place, but it's now under the control of Chechen gangsters, fronted by Chovka (MICHAEL ARONOV), who occasionally uses the establishment as a drop point for illegal money that's made its way through criminal channels. Bob tries to keep out of that and other trouble, but can't pass by a beaten puppy that's been left in the trashcan of Nadia (NOOMI RAPACE), a local waitress. She doesn't know the story behind the pup, but helps Bob -- who she doesn't know -- adopt the dog and she eventually becomes his dog sitter when she loses her job.
One night, two masked and armed men rob the bar and leave one man injured, thus drawing the suspicious attention of Det. Torres (JOHN ORITZ) who asks Bob if he knows anything about such criminal money drops. Bob lies, just as he does when asked about local thug Eric Deeds (MATTHIAS SCHOENAERTS) who reportedly murdered a man in the past and has become increasingly intrusive with the barkeep, including claiming that Bob's new dog is his.
With Chovka and his goons none too happy about having their money stolen, Marv still burning with rage that they took over his bar years ago, and Deeds becoming more aggressive, it's uncertain how Bob is going to react to these developments, especially with a big drop planned at the bar during the Super Bowl.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might show some interest, particularly if they're into crime dramas and/or are fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For some strong violence and pervasive language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.