(2014) (Tom Hardy, James Gandolfini) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: An unassuming barkeep must contend with Chechen thugs who rule his cousin's bar, while also dealing with a local thug who seemingly wants to make trouble for him.
- Bob Saginowski(TOM HARDY) works as a bartender in the Brooklyn bar once owned by his cousin, Marv (JAMES GANDOLFINI). He still runs the place, but it's now under the control of Chechen gangsters, fronted by Chovka (MICHAEL ARONOV), who occasionally uses the establishment as a drop point for illegal money that's made its way through criminal channels. Bob tries to keep out of that and other trouble, but can't pass by a beaten puppy that's been left in the trashcan of Nadia (NOOMI RAPACE), a local waitress. She doesn't know the story behind the pup, but helps Bob -- who she doesn't know -- adopt the dog and she eventually becomes his dog sitter when she loses her job.
One night, two masked and armed men rob the bar and leave one man injured, thus drawing the suspicious attention of Det. Torres (JOHN ORITZ) who asks Bob if he knows anything about such criminal money drops. Bob lies, just as he does when asked about local thug Eric Deeds (MATTHIAS SCHOENAERTS) who reportedly murdered a man in the past and has become increasingly intrusive with the barkeep, including claiming that Bob's new dog is his.
With Chovka and his goons none too happy about having their money stolen, Marv still burning with rage that they took over his bar years ago, and Deeds becoming more aggressive, it's uncertain how Bob is going to react to these developments, especially with a big drop planned at the bar during the Super Bowl.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might show some interest, particularly if they're into crime dramas and/or are fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For some strong violence and pervasive language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.