(2014) (Bill Murray, Jaeden Lieberher) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A 12-year-old boy from a broken family finds an unlikely role model and source of inspiration in his misanthropic, debt-ridden neighbor.
- In the Brooklyn neighborhood of Sheepshead Bay, Vincent (BILL MURRAY) is the sort of old, cantankerous and disheveled misanthrope that most people tend to avoid. That is, except for pregnant stripper-prostitute Daka (NAOMI WATTS) who has regular paid sessions with him, while horse track bookie Zucko (TERRENCE HOWARD) is interested in Vincent only for the gambling debt owed to him. Money woes are Vincent's biggest concern, mainly stemming from having his senile wife in an expensive nursing home and cared for by the likes of Nurse Anna (KIMBERLY QUINN).
No one outside of that facility knows of that, and that includes his new neighbors who've just moved in next door. And that would be CAT scan technician Maggie (MELISSA McCARTHY) and her 12-year-old son, Oliver (JAEDEN LIEBERHER). They've moved there following the end of her marriage to her lawyer husband with her hoping that Oliver will find guidance at the local Catholic school. While he finds that in one of his teachers, Father Geraghty (CHRIS O'DOWD), he must also contend with the school bully, Robert Ocinski (DARIO BAROSSO), repeatedly harassing him.
When he takes Oliver's school clothes during gym, the boy ends up locked out of his house and thus spends the afternoon with Vincent who's less than pleased with the situation. But when he realizes Maggie needs an after-school babysitter and he needs the money, Vincent decides to take advantage of the situation and offer his services. From that point on, Oliver finds an unlikely role model and source of inspiration in him, all while the kid brings out a softer side and some surprises out of the curmudgeon.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of anyone in the cast or comedies featuring curmudgeon type characters.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For mature thematic material including sexual content, alcohol and tobacco use, and for language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.