(2014) (Idris Elba, Taraji P. Henson) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Suspense/Thriller: A mother of two is terrorized by an intruder she has let into her home one dark and stormy night.
- Convicted killer Colin Evans (IDRIS ELBA) is denied parole after serving five years for manslaughter. Most believe he has killed many more times, but has not been convicted. He proves the public right when he murders two prison guards and escapes police custody. He lands on the doorstep of his former girlfriend, Alexis (KATE DEL CASTILLO), who never answered any of his letters from jail and has since moved on with a new man. He kills her, too.
Nearby, neglected housewife and mother, Teri (TARAJI P. HENSON), is lamenting the fact that her workaholic lawyer husband, Jeffrey (HENRY SIMMONS), is about to go away on a trip with his father, who is celebrating his birthday. Alone in her big house with a 5-year-old and a baby, her best friend Meg (LESLIE BIBB) promises to come keep her company for a girls' night with a bottle of wine. A storm rages outside. And before Meg arrives, Colin shows up on Teri's doorstep bleeding from his forehead having just crashed his vehicle.
Vulnerable to his charm and good looks, Teri lets him come in, use her telephone, and wait for a tow truck. They start to chat, and Teri eventually comes to learn that she made the worst decision of her life letting in this violent stranger who knows more about her than she can imagine.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens may have some interest due to the film's PG-13 rating and action elements.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sequences of violence, menace, terror, and some language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.