(2014) (Michael Pitt, Brit Marling) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi/Drama: A scientist tries to disprove religion through his research on the evolution of eyes, only to have his certainty challenged by developments he can't fully explain.
- Ian Gray (MICHAEL PITT) is a 26-year-old PhD student who's fascinated with eyes and eyesight. He performs lab experiments on mice regarding that, and is hoping -- with the help of his lab partner/roommate Kenny (STEVEN YEUN), and new lab assistant Karen (BRIT MARLING) -- to prove that the evolution of eyes disproves religion. In particular, he and Karen strive to create eyes in a species that's never had them, something that doesn't sit that well with Ian's girlfriend, Sofi (ASTRID BERGES-FRISBEY), who has a more spiritualistic view of the world.
Years after tragedy takes her away from him, Ian is married, and his first child's eyes are scanned and reveal a startling discovery. Whereas human irises are supposed to be unique to everyone, Ian's son's match those of someone who died several years earlier.
Even more surprising is that Sofi's match those of an orphan girl, Salomina (KASHISH), living on the streets of Delhi. With his strongly held scientific beliefs now in question and wondering if something akin to reincarnation truly exists, Ian travels there, with the hopes that social worker Priya (ARCHIE PANJABI) will help him find the girl and answer the questions behind these discoveries.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might be, especially if the subject matter intrigues them and/or if they're fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For some sexuality/nudity, and language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.