(2014) (Greg Kinnear, Kelly Reilly) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A small-town pastor must contend with the ramifications of his 4-year-old son stating he went to Heaven during emergency surgery.
- In the small town of Imperial, Nebraska, Todd Burpo (GREG KINNEAR) is a busy man. Not only is he raising young kids Cassie (LANE STYLES) and Colton (CONNOR CORUM) with his wife, Sonja (KELLY REILLY), but he's also the school's wrestling coach, works as a volunteer fireman, runs his own garage door repair business and just so happens to be the local church's pastor. Up until now, the church members -- including bank president Jay Wilkins (THOMAS HADEN CHURCH) and Nancy Rawling (MARGO MARTINDALE) who lost her 19-year-old son in military action -- have been happy with Todd's leadership.
Accordingly, they don't mind that he misses time after breaking his leg while playing softball or when 4-year-old Colton's emergency appendectomy and recovery keep Todd away from the church. They do become concerned, however, when Todd's faith is noticeably shaken when Colton announces that he went to Heaven and met Jesus during his surgery. Todd and Sonja try to dismiss that as just the active imagination of a young boy, but when he starts commenting on things he'd otherwise not know about, Todd wonders if his boy really did.
Things become more complicated when word gets out about Colton's claims, and the church's board of directors -- that includes Jay and Nancy among a few others -- becomes concerned about that turning into a growing distraction. With mounting medical and other bills putting additional strain on Todd, the pastor tries to make sense of what's occurred and what it all means to him, his family and their faith.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those interested in the faith-based story might want to. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like it will be a big draw.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic material including some medical situations.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.