(2014) (Steve Carell, Channing Tatum) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A self-absorbed millionaire attempts to fulfill his need for self-worth by helping an Olympic gold medal wrestler win again.
- Mark Schultz (CHANNING TATUM) and his brother, David (MARK RUFFALO), are wrestlers who both won Gold medals in the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. While David is married to Nancy (SIENNA MILLER), has two kids, and serves as Mark's coach, his brother has focused solely on wrestling and is looking forward to the upcoming world championships and Seoul Olympics in the next year.
Much to his surprise, Mark gets an unlikely call from John du Pont (STEVE CARELL) of the famous and uber-wealthy du Pont family. He's always thought of himself as a wrestler, but his elderly, horse-loving mother, Jean du Pont (VANESSA REDGRAVE), always viewed that as a lowly sport and thus discouraged his participation.
Undeterred by that and wanting to earn his mother's approval and bring back stature to America, John desires to be a wrestling coach and wants the large gymnasium on his grounds to serve as the main training center for U.S. wrestling Olympians. He easily gets Mark to join him, but can't convince David due to the latter being reluctant to uproot his family and move to Pennsylvania.
John ends up becoming something of the father figure Mark never had, but as their relationship continues to evolve and John's behavior becomes increasingly unpredictable, it's unclear what will ultimately happen with both men's goals.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might be interested, along with anyone who's a fan of wrestling and/or anyone who's in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For some drug use and a scene of violence.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.