(2014) (Jason Bateman, Rohan Chand) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy: A 40-year-old man uses a loophole in the rules to compete in a national spelling bee competition.
- Guy Trilby (JASON BATEMAN) is a 40-year-old man who's on an unusual quest to win the National Quill Spelling Bee. Since he never formally made it past the 8th grade in his education, he's using that loophole in the rules to compete as he makes his way from winning one competition after the next on his way to the national championship. Accompanying him is Jenny Widgeon (KATHRYN HAHN), an online newspaper reporter who's trying to get to the bottom of his peculiar behavior for a story she's doing, but so far he's determined not to give her much info, although that doesn't stop him from sleeping with her.
Less open is spelling bee director Dr. Bernice Deagan (ALLISON JANNEY) who is less than thrilled at the prospect of having an adult in the contest, a sentiment shared with National Quill president Dr. Bowman (PHILIP BAKER HALL) who's also working the event as a TV announcer alongside Pete Fowler (BEN FALCONE). What Guy doesn't expect, however, is having 10-year-old competitor Chaitanya Chopra (ROHAN CHAND) as his unwelcome constant companion. The boy, who's quite good, seems lonely and in need of a friend, even if it's someone like Guy who constantly insults and tries to ward off the kid.
Yet, as the competition continues and the number of competitors dwindles, Guy ends up somewhat softening toward Chaitanya , all while Jenny tries to get her story and Dr. Deagan and Dr. Bowman do their best to get rid of the man.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might be drawn to the R-rated comedy angle (and younger kids interested in spelling bees might be enticed), while fans of those in the cast could be interested as well.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For crude and sexual content, language and brief nudity.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.