(2014) (Annabelle Wallis, Ward Horton) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A married couple must contend with a possessed doll that's serving as a conduit for a demonic entity that's after a soul.
- It's the early 1970s, and Mia (ANNABELLE WALLIS) and John Gordon (WARD HORTON) live in Santa Monica where he's about to start his residency and she's expecting their first child. One night, there's a disturbance at the home of their next-door neighbors, Pete (BRIAN HOWE) and Sharon Higgins (KERRY O'MALLEY), involving their young adult daughter, Annabelle (TREE O'TOOLE), who's recently run away from home to join a cult. When she returns, it's with her fellow cult member boyfriend and they murder her parents, and then try to do the same to John and Mia when they intervene.
The boyfriend stabs Mia, but is then shot dead by the police, while Annabelle takes her own life, with some of her blood dripping down onto one of Mia's prized collector dolls. Mia and her unborn child survive, but enough spooky things start happening that she and John move their newly delivered baby to a large apartment in Pasadena. Yet, the seemingly supernatural events have followed them, as has the doll that John earlier threw out.
That results in Mia eventually confiding in her new neighbor, Evelyn (ALFRE WOODARD), who runs a nearby book store, while also seeking out more information about Annabelle from Det. Clarkin (ERIC LADIN). He informs her that she belonged to a satanic cult and was trying to summon some sort of demonic force, although he doesn't believe any of that.
A person who does is Father Perez (TONY AMENDOLA), the couple's priest who agrees to help and tries to intervene. But now knowing that the demon is after a soul, Mia is determined to do whatever it takes to protect her baby.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're into horror films and especially "The Conjuring" to which this is a prequel.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For intense sequences of disturbing violence and terror.
- CAST AS ROLE MODELS:
- ANNABELLE WALLIS plays a wife who's concerned about her baby, both when it's in her womb and after the child is born. And that's due to the discovery that a demonic force is terrorizing her and is after a soul. She's terrified by what occurs, especially as more is learned about what's occurring. She does what she can to protect herself and her baby. Early in the film, she must contend with a maniac trying to kill her, and she briefly has some wine.
- WARD HORTON plays her husband, a doctor in residency who initially doesn't believe her, but eventually comes around.
- ALFRE WOODARD plays their new neighbor, a woman who runs a bookstore and finds a kindred spirit in Mia. We learn that she tried to kill herself sometime in the past due to feeling responsible about the accidental death of her young adult daughter.
- TONY AMENDOLA plays Mia and John's priest who informs them of the danger at hand and tries to do what he can to protect them and their daughter.
- TREE O'TOOLE plays the young adult daughter of John and Mia's initial next-door neighbors. She's run away from home to join a cult and returns with her cult member boyfriend to kill her parents as part of a Satanic ritual. She ends up killing herself and then returns in ghost form to haunt and terrorize Mia.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.