(2014) (Michael Douglas, Diane Keaton) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: An ornery real estate agent has his carefully planned retirement upended when his troubled son drops off his 10-year-old daughter with him for the nine months he'll be in prison.
- Very few people like real estate agent Oren Little (MICHAEL DOUGLAS), except for fellow agent Claire (FRANCES STERNHAGEN) whose family has run the agency for years. A widower, Oren is ornery and outspoken toward nearly everyone he meets and knows, and is looking to sell his home before retiring elsewhere. In the meantime, he's moved into a four-plex he owns that's named "Little Shangri-La" where three other tenants live as close friends. That includes widowed lounge singer Leah (DIANE KEATON) who has a lovely voice while accompanied by pianist Artie (ROB REINER), but never can get through a song without breaking into tears.
That's not the emotion that Oren experiences when his former drug addict son, Luke (SCOTT SHEPHERD), stops by and informs Oren that he's dropping off his 10-year-old daughter, Sarah (STERLING JERINS), to stay with her grandfather for the next nine months while Luke is in prison. Oren refuses the arrangement and thus is infuriated when Luke drops off the granddaughter he's never met, thus forcing Leah to take in the girl while Oren decides what he's going to do. As he eventually starts to accept Sarah as his own flesh and blood, he also starts to have feelings for Leah, developments that not only start to change his demeanor, but possibly also his plans.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're fans of someone in the cast, it doesn't seem too likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For some sexual references and drug elements.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.