(2013) (Simon Pegg, Nick Frost) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-fi Comedy: Five former classmates now pushing 40 attempt a legendary pub crawl in their hometown, only to find the residents have been replaced by an alien intelligence.
- Gary King (SIMON PEGG) is an alcoholic who is pushing 40, has never had much career success, and has never married. He likes to live in the past. And one of his past failures was not completing an epic, 12-bar pub crawl in his small British hometown of Newton Haven with four classmates soon after their high-school graduation. The problem is, they have all moved on to successful careers. Some have become husbands and fathers. Most have tried to forget him.
They include Andy Knightley (NICK FROST), Gary's former best friend who was nearly killed years earlier while trying to save Gary from overdosing on drugs; Oliver Chamberlain (MARTIN FREEMAN), a successful Realtor in London whose sister, Sam (ROSAMUND PIKE), Gary once had sex with in a public restroom; Steven Prince (PADDY CONSIDINE), a recent divorcee now dating a 26-year-old, but who still has feelings for Sam; and Peter Page (EDDIE MARSAN), a husband and father of two who once sold Gary the car he still drives today.
Gary browbeats, pressures, and outright lies to the four guys to get them to go on the pub crawl. Upon their return to Newton Haven, they learn that almost all of its residents have been replaced by nearly identical androids by an alien intelligence intent on assimilating the people of Earth into their intergalactic collective. Gary convinces Andy and the gang to continue the pub crawl so as not to call attention to the fact that they are still human. But word eventually gets out, and the five become marked men.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens may have some interest due to the naughty content and sci-fi/action elements.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For pervasive language, including sexual references (interestingly, the MPAA doesn't list violence, drug references, or the heavy amount of alcohol and smoking in its rating reasoning).
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.