(2013) (Hugh Jackman, Rila Fukushima) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action: An immortal human mutant travels to Japan to visit a dying man he once saved long ago, only to become involved in a power struggle involving the man's family and control of his empire.
- Following the dissolution of the mutant group known as The X-Men, Logan (HUGH JACKMAN), a.k.a. Wolverine, has given up his fighting ways and lives deep in the forest. Plagued by nightmares that feature his deceased lover and fellow mutant, Jean Grey (FAMKE JANSSEN), the immortal being -- who possess retractable adamantium claws in his hands -- simply wants to be left alone. Unfortunately for him, a young Japanese woman, Yukio (RILA FUKUSHIMA), has been tracking him and finally makes her introduction.
It seems Logan saved a young Japanese soldier from the atomic bombing of Nagasaki and that man now wants to make his final amends. A reluctant Logan travels to the land of the rising sun where he meets his former rescuee turned extremely successful but now dying businessman, Master Yashida (HARUHIKO YAMANOUCHI). Knowing of Logan's curse of immortality and equating him to being a samurai with no master, Yashida offers to use his high tech gear to transfer Logan's immortality over to him and thus allow the mutant to grow old and die with dignity.
Logan declines the offer but then ends up embroiled in a power struggle regarding Yashida's family upon his passing. The man's son, Lord Shingen (HIROYUKI SANADA), isn't pleased to learn that his own daughter, Mariko (TAO OKAMOTO), will inherit the family's holdings rather than him, although her arranged marriage fiancÚ, Minister of Justice Noburo (BRIAN TEE), doesn't seem quite as perturbed at the prospect. Even so, things come to a head at Yashida's funeral when mafia types kidnap Mariko.
Her former boyfriend and current samurai Harada (WILL YUN LEE) tries to come to her rescue, as does Logan, but the latter's previous surprise encounter with Yashida's doctor -- who's really a mutant by the name of Viper (SVETLANA KHODCHENKOVA) -- has rendered him increasingly mortal. Now called back into action as a super soldier, Logan tries to find and rescue Mariko, all while dealing with those who want to save as well as harm her.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They will if they're fans of the Wolverine character, the "X-Men" movies or other superhero flicks.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence, some sexuality and language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.