(2013) (Liam James, Steve Carell) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A teenager, still reeling from the divorce of his parents and bullied by his mom's new boyfriend, takes a job at a water theme park for the summer.
- Duncan (LIAM JAMES) has seen his world turned upside-down the past couple of years. His parents have divorced, and his mom, Pam (TONI COLLETTE), has moved on with a new man, Trent (STEVE CARELL). Things are so serious between the two that they have decided to spend the summer at Trent's beach house along with Trent's daughter, Steph (ZOE LEVIN), from a previous marriage. The problem is Trent is a bully, who browbeats Duncan at every turn and insists that everything be done the "right" way - i.e. his way.
Once arrived at the quaint, little beach town, they are greeted by a group of vacationers who are longtime friends of Trent's. There is the boozy, outgoing divorcee Betty (ALLISON JANNEY); her pretty teenage daughter, Susanna (ANNASOPHIA ROBB); and her weird son, Peter (RIVER ALEXANDER). There is also the fun couple Kip (ROB CORDDRY) and Joan (AMANDA PEET), who Trent had carried on a secret affair with the previous summer.
One day, Duncan decides to venture off and see what the town has to offer. He finds a local, rundown water theme park run by the eccentric Owen (SAM ROCKWELL), who gives him a job. On Owen's staff are Caitlyn, who likes Owen but can't put up with his immaturity; the perpetually miserable Lewis (JIM RASH); and Roddy (NAT FAXON), Owen's enabling park buddy. They all become attached to Duncan over the course of the summer and try and help him come out of his shell.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teenagers should definitely have an interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements, language, some sexual content, and brief drug material.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.