(2013) (Liam James, Steve Carell) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A teenager, still reeling from the divorce of his parents and bullied by his mom's new boyfriend, takes a job at a water theme park for the summer.
- Duncan (LIAM JAMES) has seen his world turned upside-down the past couple of years. His parents have divorced, and his mom, Pam (TONI COLLETTE), has moved on with a new man, Trent (STEVE CARELL). Things are so serious between the two that they have decided to spend the summer at Trent's beach house along with Trent's daughter, Steph (ZOE LEVIN), from a previous marriage. The problem is Trent is a bully, who browbeats Duncan at every turn and insists that everything be done the "right" way - i.e. his way.
Once arrived at the quaint, little beach town, they are greeted by a group of vacationers who are longtime friends of Trent's. There is the boozy, outgoing divorcee Betty (ALLISON JANNEY); her pretty teenage daughter, Susanna (ANNASOPHIA ROBB); and her weird son, Peter (RIVER ALEXANDER). There is also the fun couple Kip (ROB CORDDRY) and Joan (AMANDA PEET), who Trent had carried on a secret affair with the previous summer.
One day, Duncan decides to venture off and see what the town has to offer. He finds a local, rundown water theme park run by the eccentric Owen (SAM ROCKWELL), who gives him a job. On Owen's staff are Caitlyn, who likes Owen but can't put up with his immaturity; the perpetually miserable Lewis (JIM RASH); and Roddy (NAT FAXON), Owen's enabling park buddy. They all become attached to Duncan over the course of the summer and try and help him come out of his shell.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teenagers should definitely have an interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements, language, some sexual content, and brief drug material.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.