(2013) (Miles Teller, Shailene Woodley) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A high school senior, who only lives in the here and now, starts dating a wallflower classmate, all while hoping to connect with his long-missing father.
- Sutter Keely (MILES TELLER) is known as something of the class clown at his high school. No stranger to alcohol, he's used to partying, especially with his girlfriend, Cassidy (BRIE LARSON). But since he only lives in the here and now and shows no motivation or interest in proceeding beyond the 12th grade, she's broken up with him and is now dating their school's star athlete and class president, Marcus (DAYO OKENIYI).
One day, his classmate, Aimee Finicky (SHAILENE WOODLEY), finds him passed out on her lawn. They end up bonding when he helps her deliver papers on her mom's route, while she helps him find his car. She eventually agrees to tutor him in geometry, and he invites her to prom, which is a big deal as she's never had a boyfriend before.
His interest is platonic, what with his focus being on finding his long-absent father (KYLE CHANDLER) and learning why he left so many years ago. That's something his single mom (JENNIFER JASON LEIGH) thinks is a bad idea, a sentiment initially shared by his older, married sister, Holly (MARY ELIZABETH WINSTEAD). As Sutter continues on that quest, his relationship deepens with Aimee, with her falling hard for him. From that point on, he tries to figure out how to deal with that, all as his alcoholism and lack of drive threaten to derail his future.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might be interested, especially since there's some buzz about this flick.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For alcohol use, language and some sexuality - all involving teens.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.