(2013) (Lily Collins, Robert Sheehan) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action/Fantasy: A teenager's life is turned upside down when her mother disappears and she's pulled into a fantastical world filled with demons, demon hunters, vampires, werewolves and unsettling discoveries about herself and her family.
- Teenager Clary Fray (LILY COLLINS) lives in a New York City apartment with her artist mom, Jocelyn (LENA HEADEY), a floor above the reclusive Dorothea (CCH POUNDER). While she believes that her mom is just stringing along boyfriend Luke (AIDAN TURNER), little does Clary realize that her best friend, fellow teenager Simon Lewis (ROBERT SHEEHAN), is secretly in love with her. One night while out with him, she witnesses an apparent murder committed by Jace Wayland (JAMIE CAMPBELL BOWER), something neither Simon nor anyone else at the club sees.
She then gets a frantic call from her mom -- who's under attack by two hulking henchmen, Pangborn (KEVIN DURAND) and Blackwell (ROBERT MAILLET) -- not to return home, just before Jocelyn downs a substance that renders her unconscious. Clary arrives to find the place ransacked and her mom missing, with Jace then arriving to inform her of what's transpired.
It turns out he's a half-mortal, half-angel demon hunter known as a Shadowhunter and states that the men who attacked her mom work for Valentine Morgenstern (JONATHAN RHYS MEYERS), another Shadowhunter who's broken from the pack and wants the Mortal Cup that she stole from him to prevent him from obtaining greater powers.
Realizing they need help, Jace takes Clary and Simon to the Institute -- a massive building hidden from view to all in Manhattan except those with the ability to see it -- where they meet sibling Shadowhunters Isabelle Lightwood (JEMIMA WEST) and Alec Lightwood (KEVIN ZEGERS), as well as Hodge Starkweather (JARED HARRIS) who continues Clary's education about her past and current situation. She eventually learns that her mom used the powerful warlock Magnus Bane (GODFREY GAO) to put a spell on her to keep her from remembering odd things she saw as a child as well as her true identity.
Armed with but still uneasy about this knowledge, Clary sets out to find her mom with the help of Simon and the various Shadowhunters, all while having to deal with vampires, werewolves, demons and Valentine's nefarious plans.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the book(s) the film is adapted from, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense sequences of fantasy violence and action, and some suggestive content.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.