(2013) (Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action/Drama: In a post-apocalyptic world, the teenage winner of a televised battle to the death competition must contend with the ramifications of that, as well as her nation's president's concern that she might have become the face of a budding revolution against him and his totalitarian government.
- In the undetermined, post-apocalyptic future, the government has long controlled the populace of Panem by dividing them into twelve districts. Each year, there's a televised event known as the Hunger Games where one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 are selected to compete in a battle to the death. It's designed as entertainment for the masses, but really to show the people that resistance against the government would be futile.
The latest winner was Katniss Everdeen (JENNIFER LAWRENCE) from District 12 who broke the rules by not killing the last competitor or "tribute," Peeta Mellark (JOSH HUTCHERSON), also from her district. While that won her a legion of fans among the everyday people, it doesn't sit well with President Coriolanus Snow (DONALD SUTHERLAND). He's concerned that she might become a figurehead for a resistance against him and thus wants the new head game maker, Plutarch Heavensbee (PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN), to do something about that.
While Katniss and Peeta are out on their cross-district victory tour along with their representative, Effie Trinket (ELIZABETH BANKS), and mentor and former Games winner Haymitch Abernathy (WOODY HARRELSON), Plutarch comes up with the idea that the 75th Hunger Games should be comprised of former winners as the next tributes, all to whittle any such potential symbolic leaders down to just one. Saying good-bye to her boyfriend, Gale Hawthorne (LIAM HEMSWORTH), and fitted with the latest fashion statement by stylist Cinna (LENNY KRAVITZ) for her appearance on Caesar Flickerman's (STANLEY TUCCI) TV show, Katniss and Peeta size up their competition.
While the motives of Finnick Odair (SAM CLAFLIN) seem unclear, Beetee (JEFFREY WRIGHT) and Wiress (AMANDA PLUMMER) come off as nice older nerds, while Mags (LYNN COHEN) is even higher up in age and about as unlikely a tribute as one could imagine. Among the remaining twenty competitors, there's Johanna Mason (JENA MALONE), a former Hunger Games winner who's clearly angry that her promised peaceful future has been taken away from her.
With all deposited into some tropical environ with a host of dangers beyond the other competitors, Katniss and Peeta do what they can to survive, including making some likely and unlikely alliances with others.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the first film, that's a definite yes.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense sequences of violence and action, some frightening images, thematic elements, a suggestive situation and language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.