(2013) (Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: Captain Kirk and the crew of the USS Enterprise must contend with a new villain and his nefarious plan that threatens the Federation.
- The crew of the starship USS Enterprise, led by James T. Kirk (CHRIS PINE), has been sent to a distant planet to observe a primitive tribe but end up attempting to halt dangerous volcanic eruptions that could kill the indigenous beings. During that, Kirk ends up breaking the Prime Directive (not to interfere with other more primitive civilizations, including simply being seen) in order to save the life of First Officer Spock (ZACHARY QUINTO). As a result, Kirk is demoted to First Officer and Admiral Christopher Pike (BRUCE GREENWOOD) is once again given command of the Enterprise. But a terrorist bombing conducted by John Harrison (BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH) kills Pike, and Rear Admiral Alexander Marcus (PETER WELLER) assigns Kirk and the crew on a mission to find and kill the rogue Federation agent.
That sends them deep into Klingon enemy territory under the steerage of helmsman Hikaru Sulu (JOHN CHO), with the ship now equipped with new photon torpedoes. Chief engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott (SIMON PEGG) resigns in protest over those weapons, resulting in former navigator Pavel Chekov (ANTON YELCHIN) being promoted to Chief Engineer, while the Rear Admiral's daughter, Dr. Carol Marcus (ALICE EVE), comes onboard under a false identity.
With the rest of the crew, including chief medical officer Leonard "Bones" McCoy (KARL URBAN) still on the Enterprise, Kirk, Spock and communications officer Nyota Uhura (ZOE SALDANA) end up captured by Klingons, with Harrison coming to their rescue but then surrendering to Kirk and the rest moments later.
He turns out actually to be Khan, a genetically enhanced human who once attempted to take over Earth with his similarly enhanced followers, but has spent the past few centuries in cryo sleep, only to be awakened for nefarious, military reasons. They soon discover a conspiracy pervading the Enterprise's mission, a point exacerbated when they encounter a far larger federation starship commanded by none other than Rear Admiral Marcus. From that point on, Kirk and his crew do what they can to survive the onslaught that's headed their way.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the "Star Trek" franchise or big-budget, sci-fi action films, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense sequences of sci-fi action and violence.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.