(2013) (Ben Affleck, Justin Timberlake) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Thriller: After being cheated by an online gaming website, a Princeton graduate student travels to Costa Rica to confront its enigmatic founder and becomes seduced into a life of crime.
- Richie Furst (JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE) is a Princeton graduate student who lost his job on Wall Street when the Great Recession hit in 2008. Mired in student debt, he does side work as an affiliate for major online gambling websites recruiting other students and even some of his professors to bet and bet big online. When the Dean finds out about his activities, he threatens expulsion. With student loans coming due, Richie opts to go online and play numerous rounds of high-stakes poker. For a while, he is up big. But then he gets wiped out and discovers that he was cheated.
Richie does some research and determines that the site was operated by an online gambling mogul named Ivan Block (BEN AFFLECK), who runs all of his businesses in Costa Rica. Richie travels there to confront the man, who blames the glitch on some shady programmers he has since fired. Richie is quickly seduced by Ivan's charm and wealth and agrees to work for him. He is also attracted to Rebecca (GEMMA ARTERTON), Block's beautiful assistant who has been with him from the start.
Soon, though, he comes to realize that Block is involved in some highly illegal activities, including fraud, bribery, and extortion. An FBI agent named Shavers (ANTHONY MACKIE) rides him and tries to get him to flip. When Ivan gets wind of this, he uses Richie's gambling addict father, Harry (JOHN HEARD), as leverage to keep him in line. Costa Rica's corrupt Gaming Commissioner Herrera (YUL VAZQUEZ), meanwhile, threatens to do Richie physical harm if his boss doesn't pay him more money to look the other way. With seemingly no way out, a desperate Richie looks to turn the tables on Ivan and beat him at his own game.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens will likely have some interest due to Timberlake in the lead role.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language and some sexual content.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) Take advantage of our Black Friday Membership Sale for a one-year membership,and save $10 off our regular price ($47), AND get 2 EXTRA MONTHS FREE (a Total Savings of more than 32%)! This offer happens only ONCE A YEAR and is only good NOW until midnight, Monday November 30, so don't wait!
You'll get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.