<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2013) (Ryan Reynolds, Jeff Bridges) (PG-13)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Supernatural Action: Two deceased lawmen - one from the modern day, one from the Old West - team up to battle evil souls who have escaped back to Earth.
- Nick (RYAN REYNOLDS) is a modern-day cop who is having regrets that he and his partner, Hayes (KEVIN BACON), took a secret stash of gold during a recent drug bust. He wants only to be seen as a good man in the eyes of his wife, Julia (STEPHANIE SZOSTAK), who adores him and doesn't care that they aren't rich. Hayes, though, betrays and murders Nick during another drug bust.
For his misdeeds, Nick is sent on a journey towards what looks like Hell. But at the last minute, he is snatched up and sent to another part of the Hereafter known as the Rest in Peace Department, headed by the acerbic Proctor (MARY LOUISE PARKER). This agency is comprised of deceased lawmen from over the decades, who get to return to Earth in human form to nab evil souls who have escaped Judgment. He is partnered with Roy (JEFF BRIDGES), a legendary 1800s lawman from the Old West who was also betrayed by his partner.
Together, the two team up to foil a plot involving stolen shards of gold that when assembled form an ancient device that allows the evil dead to return to Earth. On Earth, they appear to humans in avatar form. Roy looks like a supermodel (MARISSA MILLER) and Nick looks like an elderly Asian man (JAMES HONG). Hayes is the mastermind behind the plot, and he will eventually need the blood of an innocent - Julia - to open the portal.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens may be attracted to the film's action and supernatural elements.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For violence, sci-fi fantasy action, some sensuality, and language including sex references.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.