(2013) (Judi Dench, Steve Coogan) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A former journalist accompanies a woman as she tries to track down the child taken from her fifty years earlier at the orphanage where she gave birth as a teen.
- Martin Sixsmith (STEVE COOGAN) has just lost his job as a government PR director, and is contemplating writing a book about Russian history. At a party, he hears the tale of a woman, Philomena Lee (JUDI DENCH), who fifty years earlier gave birth to a boy in a convent as a teen, and was forced to give him up for adoption. Despite his distaste for human interest stories, due to needing the work, and being a former journalist, Martin decides to tackle the story.
He meets the woman who then recounts her time as a teen (SOPHIE KENNEDY CLARK) at the convent in Roscrea, Ireland. After fooling around with a boy, she ended up pregnant and gave birth to Anthony in the convent where the nuns then made her work off part of her penance in the laundry, all while having very limited time with her boy. That child was eventually adopted by a rich family and Philomena never saw him again.
She and Martin then begin their investigative work, a journey that takes them to the convent where they're told the adoption records were destroyed in a fire. Lucking upon a conversation with a local in the know, they then head to the United States to continue their search where Philomena finally learns what became of the son she only briefly knew.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're fans of someone in the cast, it doesn't seem too likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For some strong language, thematic elements and sexual references (on appeal from the original R rating for language).
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.