(2013) (Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi/Action: Desperate to ward off a monster invasion, humans operate gigantic robots to battle the invaders.
- It's the year 2020 and Earthlings have been waging a seven-year war against the Kaiju, gargantuan monsters that have traveled to Earth via a dimensional space portal deep beneath the sea. To best battle the invaders, the humans have created equally enormous and weaponized robots known as Jaegers that are operated from the inside by two human pilots.
With their memories and consciousness melded together by onboard hardware, the pilots are able to control the massive robots, and two of the best pilots are brothers Yancy (DIEGO KLATTENHOFF) and Raleigh Becket (CHARLIE HUNNAM). But the Kaiju are adapting to their tactics as well as evolving, and a battle between the Beckets and one of the beasts ends tragically.
Five years later, the Jaeger program -- run by former pilot Stacker Pentecost (IDRIS ELBA) -- is being shut down. With the entire fleet of Jaegers moved to Hong Kong, and most of the pilots now dead, Stacker reaches out to Raleigh who's now a welder in Alaska working on a massive wall designed to keep the Kaiju at bay. Due to his past loss, Raleigh is reluctant to rejoin the program but eventually does so and is reunited with fight ops controller Tendo Choi (CLIFTON COLLINS, JR.) as well as pilot coordinator Mako Mori (RINKO KIKUCHI).
He also meets what's left of Stacker's research crew, namely Dr. Newton Geiszler (CHARLIE DAY) who believes doing a mind meld with the brain of a Kaiju might lead to clues necessary to defeat them, while Herman Gottlieb (BURN GORMAN) is more concerned with the increasing likelihood that more than one Kaiju at a time might pass through the inter-dimensional portal very soon.
As Newtown is sent off to meet Kaiju black marketeer Hannibal Chau (RON PERLMAN), Stacker focuses on Herman's theory and thus plans on sending father-son pilots Herc Hansen (MAX MARTINI) and Chuck Hansen (ROB KAZINSKY) to destroy the portal. But he needs other pilots to provide defense, with Raleigh wanting Mako to join him as his co-pilot. With time running out and increasingly larger Kaiju coming through the portal, the humans do what they can to battle the invaders and shut off their access to Earth.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into movies featuring giant robots, gargantuan monsters attacking Earth and the notion of those two groups battling each other, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence throughout, and brief language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.