(2013) (Christian Bale, Casey Affleck) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A Rust Belt factory worker must contend with unexpected changes in his life, all while worrying about his brother who can't adjust after returning from his fourth military deployment overseas.
- It's 2008 and siblings Russell Baze (CHRISTIAN BALE) and Rodney Baze Jr. (CASEY AFFLECK) have lived most of their lives in the Rust Belt town of Braddock, Pennsylvania. While Russell works in the local mill like their terminally ill father once did, the restless Rodney has already served three tours in Iraq and is building up his gambling debt to local bar owner and bookie, John Petty (WILLEM DAFOE). Things take a turn for the worse when Russell ends up imprisoned for vehicular manslaughter, and during his time in the joint his girlfriend, Lena Warren (ZOE SALDANA), leaves him for the local sheriff, Wesley Barnes (FOREST WHITAKER).
After Russell is finally released, he learns that Rodney has been competing in fistfights for John, although his inability to take a fall has angered Curtis DeGroat (WOODY HARRELSON), a volatile hillbilly and tweaker who runs his drug and fighting ring from the backwoods of New Jersey. When that relationship sours even more, Rodney ends up missing. All of which sends Russell and his uncle, Red (SAM SHEPARD), on what they hope will be a successful rescue mission into territory that even the local cops try to avoid.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might show some interest, especially if they're fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong violence, language and drug content.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.