(2013) (Ethan Hawke, Selena Gomez) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action/Thriller: When his wife is kidnapped, a former race car driver is forced to commandeer a young woman's car and ends up taking her along for the ride as he must follow the kidnapper's directions.
- Brent Magna (ETHAN HAWKE) is a former professional race car driver who burned out of that sport and turned to being a driver for hire, sometimes for illegal pursuits. But now he's given all of that up to spend time with his wife, Leanne (REBECCA BUDIG), in their home in Sofia, Bulgaria. When he returns home right before Christmas, he finds the place ransacked and Leanne gone. He then gets a call from The Voice (voice of JON VOIGHT) who informs Brent that if he doesn't follow his every direction, he'll kill his wife.
The first is to steal a Shelby Cobra and lead the local police on a wild chase that endangers lots of people's lives. Due to cameras mounted inside and on the car and by using a GPS tracker, The Voice is able to know exactly where Brent is and what he's doing, all while occasionally giving him vocal commands via calls to the car's phone service. Things get more complicated when The Kid (SELENA GOMEZ) seemingly tries to carjack Brent at gunpoint. He's able to disarm her and The Voice instructs Brent that he must now take The Kid along with him.
From that point on and following additional commands that lead to new quests, Brent and The Kid form an unlikely and initially antagonistic partnership as they try to figure out who The Voice is and what he wants, all while hoping to keep Leanne alive.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of Hawke or Gomez and/or films featuring chase scenes and fast cars.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense action, violence and mayhem throughout, some rude gestures, and language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.