(2013) (Chloe Grace Moretz, Julianne Moore) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A teen wallflower develops telekinetic powers in response to bullying at school and stifling repression at the hands of her ultra-religious mom.
- Carrie White (CHLOE GRACE MORETZ) is a timid teenage girl who lives at home with her ultra-religious mother, Margaret (JULIANNE MOORE), who believes most everything is the result of some past or current sin. Accordingly, she hasn't informed Carrie about becoming a woman, so when the teen has her first menstrual period in the high school locker room shower, she's horrified. The other girls, however, led by Chris Hargensen (PORTIA DOUBLEDAY), taunt Carrie and throw feminine products at her, drawing the ire of PE teacher Ms. Desjardin (JUDY GREER) when she shows up.
One of those girls, Sue Snell (GABRIELLA WILDE), feels horrible about having participated in that and eventually wants her popular athlete boyfriend, Tommy Ross (ANSEL ELGORT), to take Carrie to the prom as a way of making it up to her. Margaret is adamantly against the notion of that, while Chris -- who's been suspended due to her actions -- and her boyfriend, Billy Nolan (ALEX RUSSELL), are plotting to pull a mean prank on Carrie.
To complicate matters, Carrie has discovered that not only does she have telekinetic powers, but also that she's quickly learned how to control them. All of which means things will come to a head both with her restrictive mother as well as those plotting against the teen.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into horror films -- especially those featuring teen characters -- they might be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For bloody violence, disturbing images, language and some sexual content.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.