(2013) (Chloe Grace Moretz, Julianne Moore) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A teen wallflower develops telekinetic powers in response to bullying at school and stifling repression at the hands of her ultra-religious mom.
- Carrie White (CHLOE GRACE MORETZ) is a timid teenage girl who lives at home with her ultra-religious mother, Margaret (JULIANNE MOORE), who believes most everything is the result of some past or current sin. Accordingly, she hasn't informed Carrie about becoming a woman, so when the teen has her first menstrual period in the high school locker room shower, she's horrified. The other girls, however, led by Chris Hargensen (PORTIA DOUBLEDAY), taunt Carrie and throw feminine products at her, drawing the ire of PE teacher Ms. Desjardin (JUDY GREER) when she shows up.
One of those girls, Sue Snell (GABRIELLA WILDE), feels horrible about having participated in that and eventually wants her popular athlete boyfriend, Tommy Ross (ANSEL ELGORT), to take Carrie to the prom as a way of making it up to her. Margaret is adamantly against the notion of that, while Chris -- who's been suspended due to her actions -- and her boyfriend, Billy Nolan (ALEX RUSSELL), are plotting to pull a mean prank on Carrie.
To complicate matters, Carrie has discovered that not only does she have telekinetic powers, but also that she's quickly learned how to control them. All of which means things will come to a head both with her restrictive mother as well as those plotting against the teen.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into horror films -- especially those featuring teen characters -- they might be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For bloody violence, disturbing images, language and some sexual content.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.