(2013) (Tom Hanks, Barkhad Abdi) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramatic Thriller: The captain of a cargo ship must contend with attempts by Somali pirates to hijack his vessel.
- It's 2009 and Captain Richard Phillips (TOM HANKS) is headed overseas where he's to pilot the container ship Maersk Alabama from Oman to Kenya. With the help of his second-in-command, Shane Murphy (MICHAEL CHERNUS), Capt. Phillips is fully aware of the dangers posed by small bands of pirates operating off the coast of Somalia. After receiving an updated email warning about that, Capt. Phillips has his crew of 20 go through a practice drill, unaware that it will quickly turn into the real thing.
And that's because a small speedboat commanded by Muse (BARKHAD ABDI) and holding his fellow Somali pirates, Elmi (MAHAT M. ALI), Najee (FAYSAL AHMED) and young Bilal (BARKHAD ABDIRAHMAN), is racing toward the Maersk Alabama. While Capt. Phillips and his crew manage to thwart the first hijacking attempt, Muse and his crew are successful on their second.
As the pirates board the ship, Capt. Phillips stays on the bridge with just two other crewmembers, all while Shane and the rest take refuge down in the engine room. From that point on, Capt. Phillips tries to figure out how to deal with the pirates and their demands, a tactic that puts his life and those of his crew in danger, all while the U.S. Navy sweeps in to resolve the incident.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're fans of Hanks, the film's director (Paul Greengrass who also helmed the second and third "Bourne Identity" movies) or are interested in the subject matter, it doesn't seem too likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sustained intense sequences of menace, some violence with bloody images, and for substance use.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.