(2013) (Keanu Reeves, Hiroyuki Sanada) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action: 47 leaderless samurai vow to get revenge on the treacherous warlord who caused their master's death.
- In feudal Japan, Kai (KEANU REEVES) is what's commonly called a half-breed. The offspring of a British sailor and Japanese peasant, he was abandoned by his mother and then raised and taught by demons. Not wanting to be like them, he fled at the age of 13 only to be discovered by Lord Asano (MIN TANAKA) of the Ako province. He grew up alongside that lord's daughter, Mika (KO SHIBASAKI), but his half-breed status has prevented anything coming of their love, which also holds true for him ever becoming someone like Oishi (HIROYUKI SANADA), Lord Asano's top-ranking samurai. Unbeknownst to him, Kai has been teaching his 16-year-old son, Chikara (JIN AKANISHI), how to fight.
Lord Asano's rival from the Nagato province, Lord Kira (TADANOBU ASANO), has other plans for all of them. Conspiring with the shape-shifting Witch (RINKO KIKUCHI), he's going to undermine Asano during a visit by their supreme leader, Shogun Tsunayoshi (CARY-HIROYUKI TAGAWA). That results in Asano doing the only honorable thing of taking his own life, thus leaving Oishi and his other samurai as outcasts known as ronin. With the Shogun declaring that Mika can have one year of mourning before marrying Lord Kira, the other former samurai and Kai are banished from the land, all while Oishi is imprisoned for a year.
Now out, and despite being forbidden by the Shogun to avenge his master's death, Oishi decides to do just that, recruiting Kai and then reassembling his fellow ronin to defeat Lord Kira and return honor to their dead leader.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into martial arts films, fantasy style flicks and/or are fans of anyone in the cast (particularly Keanu Reeves), they might show some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense sequences of violence and action, some disturbing images, and thematic elements.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.