(2018) (Lil Rel Howery, Kyrie Irving) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy: A down on his luck streetball coach hopes that a group of former players, now septuagenarians, can come together and win again as a team and help him defeat his longtime rival.
- Dax Winslow (LIL REL HOWERY) is a late thirty-something man who works in a sneaker store but hopes to make it big as the coach of a Harlem streetball team. That's not only to support his materialistic girlfriend, Jess (TIFFANY HADDISH), with the $100,000 payday for the winner of the 50th anniversary of the Rucker Classic, but also to get revenge on his longtime nemesis, Mookie (NICK KROLL), who blocked Dax's game-winning shot so many years ago back in school and still won't let him forget about that. Dax thinks he has what he needs in superstar basketball player Casper (AARON GORDON), but it's not long before Mookie steals him away and Jess then kicks him out of her apartment.
Things look up when Dax witnesses septuagenarian Uncle Drew (KYRIE IRVING) show up some young basketball studs on the court. Once a rising star, Uncle Drew mysteriously disappeared from the game back in 1968 but is still talked about all these decades later. Promising that he'll be able to show the youngsters how to really play, Dax convinces Uncle Drew to join his team, but only with the caveat that the old man will be able to select his teammates.
They, of course, are the ones he formerly played with way back when and include the towering Preacher (CHRIS WEBBER) whose wife, Betty Lou (LISA LESLIE), is less than pleased he's going to take time off from the church to play some ball. There's also Lights (REGGIE MILLER) who's legally blind and Boots (NATE ROBINSON) who hasn't walked in years, something his granddaughter, Maya (ERICA ASH), points out to Dax. But the player they most want is Big Fella (SHAQUILLE O'NEAL), a huge man who now teaches martial arts to kids and hasn't spoken to Dax for decades after a very personal falling out they had back in the '60s.
After getting them all together, Dax hopes they can still play and just maybe defeat Mookie and the team he's coaching in the Rucker Classic.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're basketball fans they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For suggestive material, language and brief nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.