(2018) (Jason Statham, Bingbing Li) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-fi/Action: Scientists and deep sea explorers mistakenly release a 70-foot prehistoric shark, and only one man can stop the creature.
- Deep sea diver Jonas Taylor (JASON STATHAM) undertakes a rescue mission in the Mariana Trench where he and his men are attacked by a giant prehistoric shark known as a Megalodon. Jonas is forced to make a command decision that costs him half of his crew. Haunted by the incident and dishonorably discharged from the Navy, Jonas' marriage to Greenpeace pilot Lori Taylor (JESSICA McNAMEE) falls apart and he goes into seclusion.
Five years later, a billionaire named Morris (RAINN WILSON) is funding a deep-sea expedition in that same part of the ocean spearheaded by scientist Zhang (WINSTON CHAO) and his daughter, Suyin (BINGBING LI). Lori pilots a submersible with researchers The Wall (OLAFUR DARRI OLAFSSON) and Toshi (MASI OKA) into the unexplored reaches of the Trench previously thought unreachable. While down there, they rouse the same Megalodon that Jonas encountered. The shark attacks them and incapacitates their ship.
Over the objections of the research station's Dr. Heller (ROBERT TAYLOR), the still-traumatized Jonas is recruited to mount a rescue mission. Engineers and mission specialists Jaxx (RUBY ROSE), Mac (CLIFF CURTIS), and D.J. (PAGE KENNEDY) help guide him down to the marooned sub, but it soon becomes clear that their collective meddling has freed "The Meg" and put much of coastal Asia -- not to mention Suyin's precocious, 8-year-old daughter Meiying (SHUYA SOPHIA CAI) -- at risk.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens may be attracted to its action, PG-13 rating, and Jason Statham's star appeal.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For action/peril, bloody images, and some language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.