(2018) (Melissa McCarthy, Maya Rudolph) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy: In a world where humans and sentient puppets co-exist, a cop and a private detective must work together to solve a string of puppet murders.
- In a world where humans and sentient puppets co-exist, Phil Philips (BILL BARRETTA) is a puppet private investigator who used to be a cop until he slipped up in the line of duty and accidentally shot an innocent bystander. He now lives a life of smoking, drinking, pining for his former human girlfriend, Jenny (ELIZABETH BANKS), and working cases out of an office in seedy downtown Los Angeles.
His life changes when he becomes embroiled in the string of murders targeting the former puppet stars of "Happytime Gang," a long-ago canceled TV sitcom. Among the cast members is his brother, Larry (VICTOR YERRID), who like the others is about to strike it rich once a lucrative syndication deal kicks in. But Phil learns that this accord is key to catching the killer. His former boss, Lt. Banning (LESLIE DAVID BAKER), convinces Phil to team up with his former partner, Detective Connie Edwards (MELISSA McCARTHY), who despises him for the near-fatal mistake he made years earlier that cost him his badge and almost cost Connie her life.
At the same time, Phil is working a blackmail case brought to him by a seductive puppet named Sandra (DORIEN DAVIES) that starts to tie in with the Happytime Murders. As he gets closer to the truth, FBI Agent Campbell (JOEL McHALE) begins to suspect Phil is the murderer. On the run for crimes he didn't commit, Phil needs Connie and his faithful secretary, Bubbles (MAYA RUDOLPH), more than ever.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens may be attracted to its filthy, raunchy, R-rated content and want to see it for its taboo factor.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong crude and sexual content and language throughout, and some drug material.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.