(2018) (voices of James McAvoy, Emily Blunt) (PG)
- The following is an unedited version of our final review that may contain spelling, grammatical, and/or factual errors. This film was not screened for reviewers until the night before it opened.
- QUICK TAKE:
- Computer-Animated Comedy: Two garden gnomes join a legendary British detective and his sidekick in hopes of finding and rescuing other gnomes who've been disappearing from gardens across London.
- With their human owners having just relocated to London, a bunch of gnomes -- that are frozen when humans are around but otherwise behave like people when they're not -- must contend with living in a new garden. Having previously come from antagonistic families, Gnomeo (voice of JAMES McAVOY) and Juliet (voice of EMILY BLUNT) are now married and have just been selected by their parents as the new leaders of the clan that include Gnomeo's friend Benny (voice of MATT LUCAS) who's sweet on frog figurine Nanette (voice of ASHLEY JENSEN).
But with that new position comes greater work that Juliet takes seriously, thus making Gnomeo believe she's choosing the garden over him. While he's out trying to steal a special flower for her, and with her coming to his rescue, the rest of the gnomes mysteriously disappear. All of which draws the attention of self-proclaimed protector of all gnomes and legendary detective, Sherlock Gnomes (voice of JOHNNY DEPP) and his sidekick, Gnome Watson (voice of CHIWETEL EJIOFOR).
In the past, they would have chalked this up to their arch-nemesis, Moriarty (voice of JAMIE DEMETRIOU), but with him having seemingly perished in the past, the two are perplexed but start following a series of nebulous clues seemingly left specifically for them. That eventually leads them all across the city, interacting with various other characters such as the singing doll Irene (voice of MARY J. BLIGE) and two huge gargoyles, Ronnie (voice of JAVONE PRINCE) and Reggie (voice of DEXTER FLETCHER), who seem intent on snatching up gnomes for some big surprise that's to come soon. With time running out, the married garden gnomes join the detectives in hopes of finding out who's responsible and saving the rest of the gnomes before it's too late.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they enjoyed "Gnomeo & Juliet" they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some rude and suggestive humor.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.