(2018) (Saoirse Ronan, Billy Howle) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: As various flashbacks show the moments leading up to it, a young couple of the early 1960s are nervous and awkward about consummating their marriage on their wedding night.
- It's 1962 and Florence Ponting (SAOIRSE RONAN) and Edward Mayhew (BILLY HOWLE) have just gotten married and checked into a seaside hotel for their honeymoon. Both appear awkward and nervous while having dinner and then afterward, with thoughts of consummating their marriage obviously on their minds. As this occurs, we see various flashbacks to the beginnings of their relationship.
Then, Florence lived with her prim and proper parents, Violet (EMILY WATSON) and Geoffrey (SAMUEL WEST), and sister, Ruth (BEBE CAVE), and enjoyed the comforts of wealth. Edward, on the other hand, grew with far less affluence with his two younger sisters, Anne (ANNA BURGESS) and Harriet (MIA BURGESS), and father, Lionel (ADRIAN SCARBOROUGH), who must also contend with the aftereffects of a past brain injury to the family's matriarch, Marjorie (ANNE-MARIE DUFF).
As we see the couple interacting with each other and their families during their courtship, the film repeatedly returns to the present day and the awkward attempts at consummating the marriage.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of anyone in the cast. Otherwise it doesn't seem too likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For some sexual content and nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.