(2018) (Nick Robinson, Katherine Langford) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A closeted high school senior tries to figure out when and how he'll come out to his family and friends, all while contending with a classmate who's blackmailing him regarding his hidden sexuality.
- Simon Spier (NICK ROBINSON) is an average high school senior who lives with his parents, Jack (JOSH DUHAMEL) and Emily (JENNIFER GARNER), and younger sister, Nora (TALITHA BATEMAN). And he has a close circle of friends in Leah Burke (KATHERINE LANGFORD), Nick Eisner (JORGE LENDEBORG JR.) and Abby Suso (ALEXANDRA SHIPP), the latter of whom only recently transferred to their school where Mr. Worth (TONY HALE) is a very hands-on and involved administrator and Ms. Albright (NATASHA ROTHWELL) is the occasionally stressed theater teacher who's trying to stage a high school production of "Cabaret."
But unlike classmate Ethan (CLARK MOORE) who's openly gay and must contend with daily taunts by some school bullies, Simon has yet to come out of the closet to anyone. That is, in person, as he's befriended an anonymous fellow classmate on the school's social media site. Giving himself the moniker of Jacques, Simon wonders about the identity of his new friend "Blue" as he begins to believe he's falling in love with this person who also states he's gay.
That comes to a head when another classmate, Martin Addison (LOGAN MILLER), comes across their exchanges on a school computer. Wanting to hook up with Abby, Martin blackmails Simon by saying he'll out him if he doesn't help make that happen. Wanting to come out on his own terms but still uncertain about how or when he'll do so, Simon reluctantly goes along with Martin's demands. That puts stress on him and his relationships with his friends and family, all while he tries to figure out Blue's real identity.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's a good bet a fair number of teens will be interested in seeing this.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements, sexual references, language and teen partying.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.