(2018) (J. Michael Finley, Dennis Quaid) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A singer-songwriter recounts his life story that led him to write the most popular Christian music song in history.
- It's 1985 and Bart Millard (BRODY ROSE) is an imaginative, music-loving boy growing up in Greenville, TX with his loving mother, Adele (TANYA CLARKE), and physically and emotionally abusive father, Arthur (DENNIS QUAID). Upon returning home from a week at church camp where he met Shannon (TAEGEN BURNS) -- who claimed they're destined to marry one day -- Bart is distressed to learn that his mother has abandoned him, leaving him alone with his father.
The story then jumps to 1991 when high school senior Bart (J. MICHAEL FINLEY) is trying to connect with his dad -- a former high school star himself -- through football. But a leg injury derails that, all of which unintentionally leads to Bart starring in the school theater production of "Oklahoma." Yet, while he's talented at singing, his father continues to be unsupportive of that or his boy's dreams, all of which means that upon graduation Bart leaves town, abandoning both his father and Shannon (MADELINE CARROLL), his girlfriend.
Six months later, Bart ends up volunteering to sing for a singer-less band and they begin touring, eventually drawing the attention of legendary producer Brickell (TRACE ADKINS) who isn't impressed by their covers, but is when Bart performs heartfelt songs. He eventually joins their band as their manager, leading to Bart meeting Christian singer Amy Grant (NICOLE DuPORT) and others. But he finds himself held back by unresolved issues with his father and thus returns home to confront them and him.
From that point on, and seeing the power of God in changing both his father and his view of him, Bart eventually finds inspiration to write a song that will become the most popular Christian recording of all time.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the Christian music group Mercy Me they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic elements including some violence.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.