(2018) (Sverrir Gudnason, Shia LaBeouf) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: As the two top tennis players prepare to battle in Wimbledon's final match, we see events from their earlier days that formed them into emotionally dissonant competitors.
- It's 1980 and Björn Borg (SVERRIR GUDNASON) is the four-time reigning champion at Wimbledon thanks to his strict training regimen, natural talents and the support of not only his long-time coach, Lennart Bergelin (STELLAN SKARSGARD), but also his fiancée, Mariana Simionescu (TUVA NOVOTNY).
Yet despite being the number one ranked player in the world, he's become increasingly preoccupied with the prospects of possibly having to face and potentially lose to the brash and outspoken number two player in the world, John McEnroe (SHIA LaBEOUF). Unlike the seemingly emotionless Borg who's a fan favorite, McEnroe has earned the reputation of being a brat, what with throwing tantrums on the court when he doesn't agree with certain calls.
As we approach the tournament and enter the early rounds, we see the two players' formative years where they were nearly the complete opposite of who they are now, with Young John (JACKSON GANN) being something of a math savant, while young Björn (LEO BORG when young, MARCUS MOSSBERG when a middle teen) is a fiery kid and then teen who regularly throws tantrums, only to have Lennart finally rein him in over years and years of practice.
As the match approaches and other players such as John's friends Peter Fleming (SCOTT ARTHUR) and Vitas Gerulaitis (ROBERT EMMS) realize they stand little chance to win, everyone awaits the expected showdown between the "ice borg" and "super-brat."
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into tennis they probably will, while fans of anyone in the cast might also be drawn to this.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout, and some nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.