(2017) (Jacob Tremblay, Julia Roberts) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A 10-year-old boy with a congenital craniofacial disorder must contend with the varied reaction of others as he enters school for the first time, all while his older sister deals with her own issues.
- 10-year-old Auggie Pullman (JACOB TREMBLAY) was born with a congenital craniofacial disorder that's resulted in 27 surgeries to try to make him "normal." But with his appearance still likely to draw stares, his parents, Isabel (JULIA ROBERTS) and Nate (OWEN WILSON), have home-schooled him up to this point, with his mom having put her career on hold, all while Auggie's older sister, Via (IZABELA VIDOVIC), has had to play second fiddle to all of the attention her younger sibling has obviously needed.
But now Auggie's parents believe he has to attend a regular school and he gets a lot of support from the principal, Mr. Tushman (MANDY PATINKIN), as well as his homeroom teacher, Mr. Browne (DAVEED DIGGS), and science teacher, Ms. Petosa (ALI LIEBERT), who recognizes just how smart the boy is.
That doesn't sit well with snobby bully Julian (BRYCE GHEISAR) or his followers, including Amos (TY CONSIGLIO), who routinely make fun of Auggie and his appearance. The boy does get support, however, from fellow students Jack (NOAH JUPE) and Summer (MILLIE DAVIS), which boosts his confidence at school.
At the same time and having just entered high school, Via learns that her best friend, Miranda (DANIELLE ROSE RUSSELL), now wants little to do with her after a summer away, but she finds a kindred spirit in self-proclaimed theater nerd Justin (NADJI JETER) with whom she bonds and eventually develops feelings for. As the siblings contend with their various issues and how they affect their family, the stories behind some of the other kids are brought to light as well.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Since it features a lot of kid characters, it could very well draw in younger viewers.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic elements including bullying, and some mild language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.