(2017) (Asa Butterfield, Britt Robertson) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi/Drama: A human teenager born and raised on Mars must contend with his first trip to Earth and his desire to find his biological father.
- In the near future, Gardner Elliot (ASA BUTTERFIELD) is a teenager who was born en route to Mars and has lived his entire life on that planet's surface in the small colony known as East Texas. With his astronaut mother, Sarah (JANET MONTGOMERY), having died during childbirth, Kendra Wyndham (CARLA GUGINO) has served as his unofficial mother on the planet, with his only friend there being a robot known as Centaur (voice of PETER CHELSOM).
He has a computer pen pal back on Earth, however, in the form of 17-year-old Tulsa (BRITT ROBERTSON) who's lived in a number of foster homes since the age of four. She doesn't realize Gardner is actually on Mars and he can't tell her due to secrecy regulations put into place by NASA official Nathaniel Shepherd (GARY OLDMAN) who shepherded the colonization but realized long ago that news of a boy born during the mission and then being raised on the distant planet could result in bad PR.
With Nathaniel now long gone from the agency, NASA official Tom Chen (B.D. WONG) believes it's time to bring the boy home, but not until surgical implants are inserted to reinforce his bones that would be brittle in Earth's gravity. With Kendra accompanying him, Gardner arrives back on Earth but quickly escapes from his quarantine. He does so not only to see the world he's never experienced, but also to find Tulsa in hopes that she can help him find the man he believes is his biological father. As he does so, Kendra and Nathaniel race to find the teen, knowing the dangers Earth's gravity will have on his health.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- The teen angle might draw in some, as might the sci-fi genre.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For brief sensuality and language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.