(2017) (Oscar Isaac, Christian Bale) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A love triangle develops between a medical student, the tutor to his uncle's children, and her American reporter boyfriend, all as a campaign of genocide breaks out and worsens after Turkey enters WWI.
- It's the mid-1910s and Mikael Pogosian (OSCAR ISAAC) is an apothecary in his small Armenian village and dreams of becoming a doctor, but doesn't have the money to pay for such schooling. Accordingly, he agrees to a dowry in exchange for marrying Maral (ANGELA SARAFYAN) upon his return from medical school in Constantinople. Once there, Mikael boards with his wealthy uncle, Mesrob (IGAL NAOR) and meets his young cousins' tutor, Ana (CHARLOTTE LE BON).
She's recently returned from Paris and is dating Chris Myers (CHRISTIAN BALE), an Associated Press reporter from America. He's growing concerned about anti-Armenian sentiment in the city, a worry shared by his friend, Emre (MARWAN KENZARI), who's going to med school with Mikael. When Turkey joins the war, Emre -- whose name carries weight since his father is a high-ranking military officer -- secures medical student deferments for both him and Mikael.
Even so, things go from bad to worse when Turkish military forces start removing Armenians from their towns and villages, stating that they're relocating them to safety when they're really beginning a wave of genocide. During this, Ana cheats on Chris by sleeping with Mikael, all of which creates an uneasy love triangle as Mikael returns to his hometown to check on his family and carries out his promise to marry Maral. From that point on, all do what they can to survive as the Armenian genocide worsens.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're fans of someone in the cast, it's unlikely most kids will be interested in seeing a period movie about the Armenian genocide of the mid-1910s.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic material including war atrocities, violence and disturbing images, and for some sexuality.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.