(2017) (Charlie Hunnam, Sienna Miller) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: In the early 20th century, British explorer Percy Fawcett finds evidence of a previously unknown, ancient civilization while mapping then-uncharted Bolivia. It becomes his life's obsession.
- Percy Fawcett (CHARLIE HUNNAM) is a British military officer at the turn of the 20th century, still living down the shame of an alcoholic father. He craves promotion and social status to give his wife, Nina (SIENNA MILLER), and their children a better life. So, he accepts an assignment from the Royal Geographic Society under the leadership of Sir George Goldie (IAN McDIARMID) to venture to South America and map the then-uncharted country of Bolivia.
Along for the ride is his faithful aide-de-camp, Henry Costin (ROBERT PATTINSON). The journey and subsequent trek through the Amazon jungle is treacherous and takes him away from Nina for nearly two years. But near the end of his adventure, Percy finds what he believes is proof of an ancient and surprisingly advanced civilization that he comes to call The Lost City of Z. Back in England, his findings are laughed at by the members of the Society, who hold to the notion that the jungles of Amazonia are filled only with savages and primitives.
Percy vows to return to the continent and find definitive proof, this time with a Society member named James Murray (ANGUS MACFADYEN) funding the trip. But the out-of-shape and weak-willed Murray proves more of a liability than an asset and ends up scuttling the whole expedition. Then, World War I hits and Percy, Costin, and his contemporaries are compelled to fight for England. Years after the war, Percy returns to Bolivia with his grown son, Jack (TOM HOLLAND), for perhaps one final attempt to find the fabled city.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens interested in history may have some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For violence, disturbing images, brief strong language, and nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.