(2017) (Taron Egerton, Colin Firth) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action: After most of their team is murdered, a small number of British secret agents join forces with their American counterparts in hopes of bringing down the ruthless leader of a drug cartel who's threatening the lives of millions of people if her demands are not met.
- Having been trained by the apparently now deceased Harry Hart (COLIN FIRTH), Gary "Eggsy" Unwin (TARON EGERTON) is a full-fledged Kingsmen secret agent tasked with protecting the world, something he's kept secret from almost everyone he knows, except for his girlfriend, Princess Tilde (HANNA ALSTRÍM), whose parents are literal royalty. Following a violent run-in with a former but washed up Kingsmen trainee, Charlie Hesketh (EDWARD HOLCROFT), Eggsy goes to meet his girlfriend's parents, must contend with a missile assault that wipes out the Kingsmen headquarters and kills the rest of the agents save for Merlin (MARK STRONG).
Unbeknownst to them, their enemy is Poppy Adams (JULIANNE MOORE), a drug kingpin who runs the secret "The Golden Circle" organization from the jungles of Cambodia where she lives in a 1950s style compound and submits her new recruits, such as Angel (TOM BENEDICT KNIGHT), to a grisly initiation process. He, Charlie, a number of armed goons and two robotic guard dogs serve as her henchmen, and when she isn't forcing the kidnapped Elton John (ELTON JOHN) to play songs for her, she's come up with a nefarious plan.
By mixing and modifying her usual assortment of narcotics, she's created a drug that first gives its users blue veins and then causes them to dance uncontrollably before being frozen in paralysis and ultimately dying in a bloody fashion. Her plan is to blackmail the President of the United States (BRUCE GREENWOOD) into legalizing all drugs and thus increasing her profits, and only then will she release an antidote to save those infected with her deadly drug concoction.
With no other recourse, Eggsy and Merlin travel to Kentucky where they encounter their American counterparts who operate under the guise of a whiskey distillery run by Champagne (JEFF BRIDGES) who uses the likes of Agents Whiskey (PEDRO PASCAL) and Tequila (CHANNING TATUM) to keep order, all while Ginger Ale (HALLE BERRY) provides tech and medical support. That latter role ended up saving the life of Harry, although he's now suffering from amnesia and thus doesn't recognize Eggsy or Merlin. As they try to help him regain his memory and return to their team, they and their new American spy friends do what they can to find and stop Poppy before it's too late.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they enjoyed the first "Kingsman" movie, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For sequences of strong violence, drug content, language throughout and some sexual material.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.